Skip to main content

WISE ASS WEDNESDAY

I Tracked Every Time I Felt Like Crap for a Week , Here's What I Learned

An open notebook, mug, pen, and phone on a softly lit kitchen table

I kept telling myself I was having a “bad week.”

That phrase is convenient, isn’t it? A bad week. A weird mood. A little tired. Kind of stressed. Not sleeping great. Scrolling too much. Snapping at people for breathing near me.

Very scientific.

But I had a suspicion that “bad week” was actually several different things piled on top of each other. Poor sleep. Too much phone time. Not enough movement. Anxiety I kept pretending was just productivity. Irritability I blamed on everybody else, because obviously the entire planet was being annoying specifically to me.

So I decided to track it.

Not with an expensive wellness retreat. Not with a $300 subscription that sends me inspirational notifications written by somebody named Sage. I used a notebook, a pen, and the deeply radical practice of paying attention to my own life.

For seven days, I tracked my energy, anxiety, irritability, sleep, and scrolling. I also made a quick note about what was happening around me.

Here’s what the data showed.

The experiment: five numbers and a little honesty

Every morning and every night, I gave myself a rating from 1 to 10:

  • Energy: How much fuel did I have?
  • Anxiety: How activated or worried did I feel?
  • Irritability: How close was I to becoming a tiny, furious woodland creature?
  • Sleep: How rested did I feel, not just how many hours I slept?
  • Scrolling: How much time did I spend mindlessly staring at my phone?

I also wrote one sentence about the day.

That was it. No elaborate color-coded chart. No complicated app. No need to “optimize” myself into becoming a more acceptable human being.

The point wasn’t to create perfect data. The point was to stop relying on my memory, because my memory is not exactly a neutral journalist. When I’m overwhelmed, I remember everything as overwhelming. When I’m depressed, it can feel like I have always been depressed and will remain depressed until the sun explodes.

Writing down the actual day gave me something more useful than a vague emotional fog.

A notebook with simple mood dots, a pen, and an alarm clock representing a one-week wellbeing audit

Day one: I blamed my personality

On the first day, I woke up tired and immediately decided I was failing at life.

There wasn’t a crisis. Nothing dramatic had happened. I had slept badly, checked my phone before getting out of bed, and started the day by absorbing everybody else’s opinions, emergencies, vacation photos, political arguments, and breakfast sandwiches.

What could possibly go wrong?

By mid-morning, my energy was a 4. Anxiety was a 6. Irritability was already at a 7, which felt unfair because it wasn’t even lunchtime.

My first instinct was to say, “This is just how I am.”

That’s one of the meanest stories we tell ourselves. We turn a temporary state into a permanent identity. I’m lazy. I’m broken. I’m too sensitive. I’m bad at handling stress. I’m just an angry person.

Or maybe I’m exhausted and have been staring at a glowing rectangle for forty-five minutes while lying in bed.

Those are not the same thing.

The pattern I didn’t want to see

By the third day, a pattern was starting to show up.

When I slept poorly, my energy dropped. When my energy dropped, I became more likely to scroll. When I scrolled for too long, my anxiety went up. Then my irritability followed close behind like an obnoxious little parade.

It wasn’t every single time. Life is not a neat spreadsheet. Some days I slept fine and still felt anxious. Some days I had low energy because I was sad, not because I had spent too much time online.

But the connection was there often enough that I couldn’t keep pretending it wasn’t.

The numbers looked roughly like this:

Day Sleep/rest Energy Anxiety Irritability Scrolling
Monday 4/10 4/10 6/10 7/10 High
Tuesday 6/10 6/10 5/10 4/10 Medium
Wednesday 3/10 3/10 8/10 8/10 High
Thursday 7/10 7/10 4/10 3/10 Low
Friday 5/10 5/10 6/10 6/10 Medium
Saturday 8/10 8/10 3/10 2/10 Low
Sunday 6/10 6/10 4/10 4/10 Medium

Was this a peer-reviewed clinical trial? No. It was one tired person writing numbers beside a grocery list.

Still, it told me something.

My mood wasn’t random. It wasn’t entirely random, anyway.

Sleep was doing more than I gave it credit for

I tend to treat sleep like a reward I’ll get after I finish everything else.

That is a ridiculous plan because everything else is never finished. There is always laundry, email, work, dishes, somebody needing something, and at least one thought that decides to show up at 1:17 a.m. and start a committee meeting in my brain.

During the week I tracked everything, the days after better sleep were noticeably different.

I didn’t become a glowing wellness goddess. I still had responsibilities and bad moods. I still got annoyed. I still had moments where I wanted to crawl under a blanket and let somebody else be in charge.

But I had more space between the feeling and the reaction.

That space matters.

When I was rested, I could notice, “I’m getting overwhelmed,” before turning it into an argument. I could take a walk, drink water, step away from the phone, or simply admit I was at capacity.

When I was exhausted, every problem seemed urgent and personal. A delayed text felt like rejection. A messy room felt like proof that I couldn’t manage my life. A minor inconvenience became a character assassination.

Sleep didn’t solve everything. It just made everything a little less loud.

Scrolling wasn’t the villain, but mindless scrolling was

I don’t believe phones are evil. I use mine for music, podcasts, directions, work, conversations, and sending people things they didn’t ask for but absolutely need to see.

The problem was not using my phone.

The problem was using it to avoid being where I was.

I noticed three different kinds of screen time:

  1. Intentional: Listening to music, answering a message, watching something I chose.
  2. Emotional avoidance: Checking my phone because I didn’t want to feel bored, sad, anxious, or alone.
  3. Pure brain soup: Opening an app without knowing why and then somehow watching strangers reorganize their refrigerators.

The third category left me feeling the worst.

High scrolling days weren’t always bad, but they were often disconnected days. I had consumed a lot and processed almost none of it. My brain was full, but I didn’t feel nourished. That’s a pretty good description of modern life, honestly.

On Thursday, I put my phone in another room for part of the evening. I listened to music, made something to eat, and let myself be bored.

At first, boredom felt like an emergency.

Then it felt like breathing.

A blank-screen smartphone beside a notebook and earbuds in warm evening light

Irritability was usually a signal, not a personality flaw

This one was uncomfortable.

I thought irritability meant I was angry at someone. Sometimes it did. Other times, it meant I was overstimulated, hungry, lonely, worried, or trying to do too much without admitting it.

Who comes up with these things? Why are we expected to know what we feel while we’re feeling it, especially when the feeling is buried under twelve unfinished tasks?

Tracking irritability helped me ask a better question:

What happened before I started snapping?

Usually, there was a clue.

I had skipped lunch. I had been switching between too many tasks. I hadn’t gone outside. I had spent hours absorbing bad news. I was worried about money. I was carrying a conversation from three days earlier and replaying it like my brain had been hired by the Investigation Discovery channel.

The irritation was real. But it wasn’t always the whole story.

Sometimes the most honest sentence in my notebook was, “I’m not mad. I’m overloaded.”

That sentence alone saved me from a few unnecessary arguments.

What the wellness industry gets wrong

There is a whole industry built around convincing us that we need one more product, plan, retreat, journal, powder, app, candle, course, or extremely expensive water bottle before we can feel okay.

Some of those things are helpful. I like a good candle. I support yoga. Music has carried me through some depressing moments, panic attacks, and deep holes I was sure I would never climb out of.

But sometimes the answer is less glamorous.

Sometimes we need to notice that we haven’t slept.

Sometimes we need to stop checking the comments.

Sometimes we need to eat something, take a shower, go outside, say no, or tell the truth about how we’re doing.

That doesn’t mean professional help isn’t important. If you’re dealing with ongoing depression, severe anxiety, thoughts of harming yourself, or anything that feels unsafe, please reach out to a mental health professional or crisis service. A notebook is not therapy, and a mood rating is not a diagnosis.

But paying attention can be a useful beginning. It can help us explain what’s happening instead of just saying, “I feel like crap and I don’t know why.”

The music that helped me notice the week

I kept music nearby while I tracked, because silence is not always peaceful and sometimes my brain needs a soundtrack before it agrees to cooperate.

A few songs that fit the week:

  • “This Is Me Trying” : Taylor Swift
  • “Good Days” : SZA
  • “Vienna” : Billy Joel
  • “The Middle” : Jimmy Eat World
  • “Shake It Out” : Florence + The Machine
  • “Fix You” : Coldplay
  • “Dog Days Are Over” : Florence + The Machine

None of these songs fixed my mood. That’s not what music has to do.

Sometimes it just meets us where we are. Sometimes it gives the feeling somewhere to go. Sometimes it reminds us that someone else has also been sitting in the dark thinking, “Is there a way out?”

There usually is. It just may not look like a dramatic breakthrough. It might look like getting through Tuesday.

What I’m doing differently now

I’m not going to track every emotion forever. That sounds like a great way to turn self-awareness into another chore I can fail at.

But I am keeping a simpler version of the experiment.

At the end of the day, I ask:

  • How did I sleep?
  • What was my energy like?
  • What feeling showed up most?
  • What helped, even a little?
  • What do I need tomorrow?

That last question is important. Not, “What did I do wrong?” Not, “Why can’t I handle life like a normal person?”

What do I need tomorrow?

Maybe I need less phone time. Maybe I need to talk to someone. Maybe I need rest instead of one more attempt to prove my worth through productivity. Maybe I need to stop being so hard on myself for having a human nervous system.

An open notebook showing a simple line rising from low points toward a small sprouting leaf

The takeaway: attention is a form of care

The biggest thing I learned was not that sleep matters or scrolling can affect my mood. I already knew those things in theory.

I learned that my feelings became less frightening when I stopped treating them like evidence against me.

A bad day was information, not a verdict.

Anxiety was something to listen to, not automatically obey. Irritability was often a warning light. Low energy didn’t mean I was lazy. And needing help didn’t mean I had failed at taking care of myself.

We don’t need to turn our lives into a wellness project. We don’t need to buy our way into peace. We can start with a notebook, a few honest questions, and the willingness to notice what keeps repeating.

That’s not a perfect system. Neither am I.

But it’s a place to start.

And sometimes, despite how difficult it can be, a place to start is enough for today.

For more honest conversations about mental health, resilience, and navigating the messy parts of life, visit Breathe N Bounce and explore episodes like “More Perspective, Less Bullshit”, “The Struggle: Part 5000”, and “Doing Over and Beginning Again”.

Translate

Come see me


MICHAEL'S CLASSES
STILLNESS
WEDNESDAYS @ 1PM
RANDALL OAKS RECREATION
CENTER
500 N Randall Rd
West Dundee, IL

FREEFORM YOGA
WEDNESDAYS @ 5PM
RAKOW CENTER
665 Barrington Av
Carpentersville

MICHAEL'S EVENTS
EXPERIENCE IV: YOGA DREAM
9/23 7P
RAKOW CENTER

DARK FLOW
10/10 1P
RANDALL OAKS RECREATION CENTER

SUPER SAVASANA
12/1 8PM
RANDALL OAKS RECREATION CENTER