The Kids Went Back to School and I Finally Cried in Peace: A Parent's Guide to the September Letdown

The first morning went surprisingly well.
Nobody could find a shoe, obviously. Someone forgot a water bottle. Someone else suddenly remembered a form that needed to be signed right now, as if the school district had personally been waiting for our family to get its act together.
But eventually, somehow, everyone got out the door.
Then the house went quiet.
Not peaceful quiet. Not immediately, anyway. More like the strange, ringing quiet after a concert when your ears are still trying to figure out what happened.
I stood in the kitchen with a cold cup of coffee, a backpack-shaped dent in the couch cushion, and absolutely no idea what to do with myself.
So I cried.
Not a graceful, cinematic tear rolling down my cheek while I stared meaningfully out the window. No. I cried the way a person cries when they have been holding everything together for months and their nervous system finally says, “Great, she’s alone now. Release the flood.”
And honestly? It felt good to cry in peace.
We survived summer. Why do I feel sad now?
Summer parenting can be a lot.
There are snacks every twelve minutes. There is laundry that multiplies when nobody is looking. There are arguments about screens, shoes, swimming, siblings, bedtimes, and why the dog is suddenly eating a crayon.
We spend months managing the noise and the needs and the constant question of “What are we doing today?”
Then school starts, and the thing we have been waiting for arrives.
A schedule. A routine. A few hours to ourselves.
Relief should be the whole story, right?
Except it isn’t.
Sometimes relief walks into the room holding hands with grief. Sometimes freedom shows up with loneliness. Sometimes we are thrilled to have a quiet morning and immediately feel guilty for being thrilled.
Who comes up with these emotional mixed drinks? And why are they always two parts guilt, one part exhaustion, with a little childhood nostalgia floating on top?
The so-called “September letdown” is not a formal diagnosis. It is a useful way to describe a very real adjustment period: the emotional crash that can happen when summer ends, the children return to school, and the daily structure of family life changes almost overnight.
Several mental health and parenting writers describe the same mix of feelings: sadness, relief, anxiety, pride, worry, loneliness, and grief. Parents has written about the complicated emotions parents can feel when school begins, while Talkspace discusses the back-to-school blues and the pressure of suddenly shifting back into a demanding routine.
So if you feel weird this month, congratulations. You are probably a human being with feelings, not a defective parent.

The house is quieter, but who am I in it?
This is the part I don’t always like admitting.
For months, my identity has been built around being needed. I know who needs a ride. I know who hates sandwiches now. I know whose mood changed because they are tired and whose mood changed because they saw something upsetting online.
I know how to be the parent who keeps things moving.
But when the kids leave for school, there can be a sudden gap between who I have been and who I am when nobody is asking me for anything.
Now what?
That question can feel bigger than it sounds.
Maybe you had plans for the extra time. Maybe you were going to exercise, write, work, clean the house, return emails, or finally deal with the terrifying pile of paperwork on the counter.
Maybe you made a beautiful list.
Maybe that list is still sitting untouched because you spent the first hour staring into space and wondering whether you are allowed to enjoy the silence.
The answer is yes, by the way. You are allowed.
You are also allowed to miss them.
You are allowed to feel proud and heartsick. You are allowed to want five minutes alone and then feel the ache of not hearing their voices. You can be grateful for school and still grieve the version of summer that just ended.
These things do not cancel each other out. They are both true.
The September identity shift is real
Parenthood changes us in ways nobody fully explains.
We talk about milestones for children, but we do not always talk about the milestones parents move through. The first day of kindergarten. The first sleepover. The first time they solve a problem without us. The first morning when they walk into school carrying a confidence we do not remember teaching them.
That last one can hurt.
We want them to grow. Of course we do. We are not trying to keep them frozen at six years old, even if we occasionally want to put their tiny shoes in a museum.
But independence can feel like a door slowly closing behind us.
And maybe we are not only grieving summer. Maybe we are grieving the years that are moving faster than we can process.
Maybe we are grieving an old version of ourselves, too.
Before children, I had a different relationship with time. Before the endless schedules and activities and school emails, there was a person in here who had interests that did not involve anyone else’s lunch.
I am still trying to find that person again.
Not recreate her exactly. I do not need to go backward. But maybe I can meet the current version of myself somewhere in the middle of the mess.

Gentle ways to meet yourself again
I am not going to tell you to “seize the day” at 8:03 a.m. while you are standing in yesterday’s sweatpants.
Sometimes the first step is much smaller.
Let the first week be emotionally messy
You do not have to become a brand-new person just because the school calendar changed.
Give yourself time to adjust. Your body and brain are coming down from months of irregular schedules, extra responsibilities, and constant stimulation. That transition can take a minute.
Name what is happening without judging it:
- “I feel lonely.”
- “I am relieved.”
- “I miss them.”
- “I do not know what I want to do today.”
- “I am sad and also enjoying this coffee way too much.”
Naming a feeling does not make it worse. Usually, it makes it less foggy.
Create one small ritual that belongs to you
Not the family. Not the house. You.
Take a walk after drop-off. Sit in the car for ten quiet minutes. Make tea and drink it while it is still hot, which may feel like a luxury vacation. Put on music. Stretch. Journal badly.
If yoga is part of your life, this can be a good time to return to the mat without turning it into another performance review. The Breathe N Bounce conversation about Santosha and shenanigans is a reminder that contentment does not mean everything is perfect. It means we practice being where we are, even when where we are is kind of awkward.
Reach out before the loneliness gets loud
Text another parent. Meet a friend for coffee. Take a class. Volunteer. Call someone who will not make you explain why you are sad about having free time.
We tend to isolate when we feel embarrassed by our feelings. We think everyone else is handling the transition better.
They probably are not.
They may also be sitting alone in their kitchen, crying over a granola bar and pretending it is allergies.
Keep one piece of summer
The end of summer does not have to mean the end of everything good about it.
Keep the evening walk. Make popsicles on a warm afternoon. Sit outside after dinner. Plan a weekend day with no complicated agenda.
A new routine does not have to erase the old one completely.
Watch for signs that you need more support
A temporary emotional dip is common. But if sadness, anxiety, emptiness, hopelessness, or irritability lasts for weeks, worsens, or begins interfering with sleep, appetite, work, relationships, or daily life, please talk with someone.
Start with a trusted person. Reach out to a therapist or medical professional. You do not have to wait until everything falls apart to ask for help.
Breathe N Bounce is built around honest conversations because pretending we are fine all the time is exhausting and, frankly, not very believable.
If you are in immediate danger or thinking about harming yourself, call or text 988 in the United States or visit the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline for immediate support.
A small September playlist for the feelings

Because sometimes the right song can say the thing we cannot.
Here is the playlist I would put on after drop-off, preferably before I start reorganizing a drawer for no reason:
“Landslide” : Fleetwood Mac
For the part of us watching our children grow while quietly asking, “Wait, when did that happen?”“The Mother” : Brandi Carlile
Complicated, funny, loving, and honest about the identity shift that comes with raising another person.“Vienna” : Billy Joel
A reminder that we do not have to solve our entire life before lunchtime.“Good Days” : SZA
For hoping the next good day is closer than it feels.“Rivers and Roads” : The Head and the Heart
A little ache never hurt a September playlist.“Dog Days Are Over” : Florence + The Machine
Because sometimes we need to admit that the chaos ending is also a good thing.“September” : Earth, Wind & Fire
Mostly because the title is funny, and we deserve something that makes us dance in the kitchen.
The point is not to fix the feeling with music. Music does not magically turn loneliness into purpose. But it can sit beside us while we figure out what comes next.
We are still here
The quiet house can feel like proof that something has been taken from us.
But maybe, slowly, it can also become a place where we hear ourselves again.
Not perfectly. Not all at once. We may feel lost for a while. We may have a few depressing mornings, a few panic-filled afternoons, a few days where the most productive thing we do is stare at the wall and eat something directly from the bag.
That does not mean we are failing.
It means we spent a long time pouring ourselves into our children, and now we are learning how to pour a little care back into ourselves.
The kids went back to school.
We cried in peace.
And maybe tomorrow, after the coffee, we can ask a gentler question than “What should I be doing?”
Maybe we can ask, “What do I need?”
Then we can start there.